Wednesday, November 11, 2009

When Cancer Comes to the Wedding

Two months ago my fiance was diagnosed with cancer. CML Leukemia to be exact. I have tried to write this post a couple of times now, but it seemed too soon. I wasn't sure how wedding planning and Leukemia were going fit together. I wasn't sure how much my personal struggles mattered to a wedding planning blog. Truthfully, I wasn't sure how much wedding planning I wanted to do anymore.

But- I decided that planning a wedding was a lot more than just picking out flowers and color schemes. It was about planning a life together and learning how to communicate, trust, and support each other, no matter what. We decided that our wedding must go on- no matter what. Our desire to share and celebrate our love and friendship with our family and friends is now stronger than ever. If our wedding goes on, so does my planning, my blog, and my promise to be honest, open, and truthful, no matter what.

I should mentioned, that every cloud does have a silver lining. My mister was diagnosised with CML Leukemia, which can be treated with a oral chemotherapy pill. While he was hospitalized and out of commission for about a month, he is now back at work and feeling much better. With regular doctor appointments and a strict medication routine, we hope to beat this cancer into remission within a year. There is only one way to look at all of this ....in a positive, sunny, yellow light.

So, I will be back, blogging about my yellow wedding - and all the other bumps along the way.

Btw- the mister blogs much more elequently about his own illness at johnwtomac.blogspot.com

Also- here's a picture of us dressed up for Halloween. Because after reading my own post- I needed to smile :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow. I'm so sorry. I'm glad that his cancer is easily treated - been there. Best of luck to you guys! And I hope for a speedy remission!!!

    ReplyDelete